Dr Laura Hinksman
Institution: University Hospital Wishaw General, Scotland, UK
Membership of Learned Societies
Radiological Society of North America
British Institute of Radiology
Royal College of Radiologists
Scottish Radiological Society
Scottish Radiologists in Training
Education, Exams and Awards
- Glasgow University Medical School: 2000- 2005
MB ChB with honours June 2005 Glasgow University
John Barclay Stevenson Award 2005 (communication prize)
- FRCR Part 1 Dec 2007
- FRCR 2A completed Oct 2009 Edinburgh RCR
- FRCR Final Examination October 2010
- CCT – August 2012
West of Scotland radiology training scheme – 2007-2012
Radiology Consultant Wishaw General Hospital Aug 2012
Areas of interest
Main areas of interest are gynaecological radiology. I am involved in the gynaecology oncology MDT. Second main interest is in gastrointestinal imaging.
I do a wide range of imaging in association with this including pelvic, abdominal, testicular and transvaginal ultrasound. CT of the head, chest, abdominal and pelvis. MRI including gynaecology, prostate, rectal, fistula, enteroclysis, adrenal and hepatobiliary imaging. Practical procedures including biopsies (solid organ, lung, omentum and breast), drainages, barium work, and hysterosalpingograms.
I enjoy teaching and have been heavily involved in teaching professions allied to medicine, medical students, non-radiology junior and consultant doctors and radiology registrars.
- Educational supervisors course 15/11/11
- FDA trainer workshop Kirklands 14/01/15
- Imaging in emergencies, First National Medical and Surgical Emergencies Society conference, Wolfson medical school, Glasgow University.
- Abdominal imaging Boyd Orr Building, Glasgow University.
- A&E radiology Wishaw general
- Gynaecology registrars teaching
- FRCR2A teaching: Cervical cancer and imaging
- FRCR Part 1 anatomy tutorial and quiz in gynaecological anatomy.
- A&E radiology teaching to 1st-year radiology registrars
- FRCR 2B tutorial for preparation of senior registrars for viva practice
- Member of the faculty for Chest USS course for chest physicians Level 1 accreditation.
- Radiographers teaching Gynaecology MRI at study day
- Hospital Grand rounds- Ovarian cysts. Obesity lecture
- Medical student teaching tutorials
- Oncology registrar teaching
- Gynaecology trainee and consultants on gynaecology cancers
- Gynaecology trainees – Imaging non-pregnancy related disease in the pregnant patient
- Interesting case meeting monthly colleagues and registrar teaching weekly
- School student work experience
Author of Examdoctor’s Final FRCR Part A Course - published March 2012 by Hodder & Stughton limited.
Diffusion weighted imaging in Uterine Artery embolisation (UAE): Do findings correlate with contrast enhancement and volume reduction? Dr Moss, Dr Ganpathy, Dr Hinksman – Published 16 Aug 2012 British Journal of Radiology
Can MR Spectroscopy be used to assess the success of Uterine Artery Embolisation? Dr Moss, Dr Ganpathy, Dr Hinksman, Dr Mcnaught – Accepted July 15 for publication in Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology as a Clinical Investigation. – Published 17 July 2015 Cardiovascular and Interventional radiology.